This episode I’m chattin’ it up with The Star Spangled Brewing Company’s very own Josh Romaker. Honestly, Josh has one heck of a brewery tucked away in Clarkesville, Tennessee. They’ve got some outstanding brews, a great atmosphere, and quite the brewery opening experience. Josh was kind enough to take the time to share his story, and impart some excellent knowledge!
- 1:03 Josh’s Introduction
- 2:23 When did you first get into beer?
- 3:46 Do you remember the first beer you tried?
- 4:19 When did you start brewing?
- 5:05 Water Adjustments
- 6:31 How did you decide to open a brewery?
- 8:44 How did you finance the project?
- 10:43 Full Ownership
- 11:38 How long was the process of opening?
- 13:40 What have been your biggest hurdles?
- 14:29 What have been your biggest successes?
- 15:54 Getting Barrels for Aging Beer
- 17:16 Was there anything you found surprisingly easy?
- 18:22 Why did you choose Clarkesville, TN
- 19:58 What’s your recipe development process like?
- 21:56 Listening to the Consumer
- 23:12 Customer Service
- 24:10 What made you choose a 3 BBL system
- 24:52 Brewing Frequency
- 25:30 Are there unique challenges using a smaller volume like 3 BBLs?
- 27:13 Pilsners and Lagers
- 28:19 What do you feel the advantages are with a smaller system?
- 30:25 Have you found repeatability with your brewing?
- 32:37 How did you learn your professional brewing system?
- 33:31 Cleaning and Sanitation
- 34:11 What do you do with your spent grains?
- 34:52 Disposing of Waste Water
- 35:34 Recycling Brewing Water
- 36:13 Who is the manufacturer of your brewing system?
- 37:58 Being Able to Pivot on a Name Change
- 38:56 Who do you get your yeast from, and do you harvest?
- 39:27 What made you choose dry yeast?
- 40:09 Do you do anything to prepare your yeast before pitching?
- 41:02 What are your future plans for the brewery?
- 42:25 Distributing Your Beer
- 44:21 Tennessee Distribution Laws
- 45:26 What is something you’d tell yourself starting out?
- 47:19 Working With Local Regulation Boards
- 47:57 Brewer’s Notice
- 48:58 Is that anything that you would have done differently?
- 49:44 What’s it like accepting the risk of starting a new brewery?
- 50:22 Final Words of Wisdom
- 51:06 The Star Spangled Brewing Company Contact Information
As promised, connect with The Star Spangled Brewing Company:
If you haven’t gotten the chance, make sure you subscribe to the podcast over at iTunes for even more great interviews and information. Also don’t forget to leave us a review, and check out our brewing articles!
Any questions, comments, or concerns? Shoot me a message at:
I always love hearing from you!